Step 2: Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and duct tape it to your toe for as long as possible. I did this at night, religiously, for a month. I would make it from 8pm till about 2am, before I awoke with a hot pulsing sensation in my toe and had to rip the thing off as quickly as I possibly could. When I awoke in the morning, I would duct tape it again and walk around like that all day, until the 8pm vinegar taping. Some days were great, no pain at all. Other days/nights, I thought it might be less painful to cut my own toe off. I persevered, however, and am so glad to say, that this is now my toe!
In essence, the duct tape suffocated the wart and would peel off a layer of skin. The vinegar would attack the root and stifle the blood flow to the wart. Without blood flow, they die. Plantar warts are cellular, however, meaning if you don't kill every last cell of each wart, they will continue to come back. I continued treatment for a week just to make sure they were gone and I have had a beautiful toe for 3 weeks now! The second I ever start to see one of those pesky buggers again, I'm going straight to the duct tape!
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
WARNING: Disturbing Images!! Read at your own risk!
For the past 2 1/2 years I've been suffering in silence. If anyone else suffers from the same, then I hope this helps!!
2 little dots appeared on my big toe. Rather light, rather hard to the touch, and rather ugly. Well, turns out, those 2 dots were nothing other than 2 little plantar warts.
I started reading online about them and discovered that plantar warts interrupt the pattern of the sole of the foot and often go away on their own. Not mine.
I began using Dr. Scholl's wart remover pads with salicylic acid on them. I went through 2 boxes of them and-- nothing.
I used the liquid form of salicylic acid that you 'paint' on the wart and after it dries, paint another layer, peel off the next day and repeat. Did that for one month straight--nothing.
I let it go for a few months deciding that they weren't really that bad and I'd just see if I could live with them. Well, these warts are embarrassing, often painful, and well, just plain embarrassing.
So, new plan of attack: I decided to soak my foot in warm water and use a pumice stone and nail file to file those suckers off. Weeks of this and several times I scraped and filed them down till they bled, and-- nothing.
They came back--with a vengeance. One other little thing I learned, if you scrape them and expose the roots, they will spread. And spread they did. It was awful. 2 turned into 4, and 4 turned into 8.
I went to the store to purchase another expensive over-the-counter remedy: Freeze Off! This product makes it sound like they are supposed to be frozen with a cool liquid and swiftly die and gently fall off my foot. This darn solution would better be described as, "Burning Hot Searing Painful Nails Ground Into Your Nerves." It was awful. Trent did the freezing. And the laughing. He actually laughed at me writhing in pain on the couch, as I muffled my screams with a pillow. As if this wasn't bad enough, it had to be repeated in a week. For that much pain, something should have happened, and yet-- nothing.
Out of pure desperation and a strong desire to avoid major surgery on my big toe, I turned to a time-tested Internet method. Duct tape and Apple Cider Vinegar. I wore a piece of duct tape wrapped on my big toe to suffocate the warts for a full week. If it started coming off in the shower, I dried the area afterward and applied more tape. After a week of faithful duct tape wearing, I decided to see if ANYthing had changed and took the tape off. As it turns out, a lot had changed. I unearthed this:
I nearly fainted from the sight. (I warned you it was graphic!) I removed a piece of dead skin over 1 inch long and 1/4 inch deep across my entire toe. Underneath was not only 8 warts, but a colony of 22. I had no idea there were so many! They were waiting under the surface of my hardened skin for a chance to poke their raging heads through and torment me more. Several times while cleaning the area and removing the skin, I had to take a deep breath in and out and look away to avoid passing out. There was no pain, but the sight was unbearable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Holy COW! That is intense! Do you guys have health insurance? You should have gone to see a foot doctor instead of suffering for so many months! I'm so glad to hear the duct tape worked though! You should post it somewhere on the internet besides your blog. It could be very usual information for someone who has an extreme case like you. Man are there just some crazy things out there that you never could imagine dealing with until, you have to!
Yes, we have health insurance. I just did not want to go in and have them frozen off or cut out of my foot. I wanted to take care of it on my own. :) I knew they were growing in size, but I had no idea how bad it was underneath the top layer of skin! It did NOT look that bad before I peeled off all the skin--promise! haha I've read numerous testimonials of duct tape and vinegar working, now I can say I concur with their findings, it totally works!
That's crazy Amber! So glad it worked! :)
I'm glad it all worked out and that you were persistent! I know sometimes people cut their health insurance while they're in school because its so expensive. That's the only reason I asked, sorry if it came across funny in a comment. I had to go in for a bunion, thankfully just to get some advice on. It's crazy the foot problems one can have!
No worries Ashley! I wasn't offended in any way, I just was too stubborn to go in to a dr. haha Glad to hear you had such a fabulous trip to NY! We saw you guys on tv, looks like fun!
Did you ever see when Kezia has about 50 of them all over her toes on one foot and about 10 on her other foot. I was using the freezing stuff and the liquid every day, even though it said to do it every other day and eventually lays of skin just starting falling off. It took about two weeks and a lot of tears but we won. Izzie has two right now and is terrified to get them removed.
No I never saw hers Keltie! Oh my goodness! I tried that liquid stuff, sometimes twice a day for weeks and they would just come back. Try the duct tape and vinegar on Izzie and just see if it does anything. Good luck! :)
do you have to use apple cider vinegar, or will any vinegar work?
That is incredible!!!! Seriously!!! I am so impressed that it worked so well! How cute your big toe looks now!
Post a Comment