So, I've been teaching Body Pump for over a month now, 21 classes to be exact. I LOVE it! I love feeling strong, I love lifting weights and fatiguing my muscles and I love getting to know so many more names and faces and people at the gym.
I read recently that less than 13% of US women regularly lift weights. What the what?! Why the heck not?! This has got to change! Strength lifting is one of THE best things you can do for your body. It's all about lean muscle mass gains which help you burn more calories at rest meaning you can EAT MORE food! So why don't more women lift? Many women feel they will bulk up and get big muscles. Not so my friend. We can easily burn fat and build lean muscle without actually bulking up and getting "bigger."
Strength training has given me definition in my shoulders and arms that I am in love with. Shoulders, who woulda thought huh? Weird thing to like on your body, but it's true. I have increased how much weight I can lift in the past couple of months and shh, don't tell anyone, but I lift as much or more as all the guys in my classes. Yeah baby.
Mostly, I strength train because it is fun. We have fabulous upbeat music that I get to sing to, shake my hips to and lift to and it drives the workout. Teaching Body Pump has challenged my body and mind like never before. I get nearly breathless and sweat a ton as I push my body to eke out just a few more reps. We're talking squatting for almost 6 minutes and lunging for 5 minutes so yeah, sometimes those last few reps are a doozy! I have to know my technique, form, number of reps, tempo of move, and range of motion of the barbell. It's a LOT to learn and remember, but so fun!
If you have a chance to attend a Body Pump class at a gym near you, do it! Then let me know how you liked it! Don't be afraid to lift heavy!
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment