I got props from the girls for my dance and rap to a Ke$ha song. I changed it a bit though, "Wake up in the morning it's about 6:30, wake the girls up for the flag, but they're already here. Before you leave, brush your teeth, put your lunch in a sack, 'cuz when you leave for the hike you ain't comin' back! I'm talkin' bout wearing our campin' clothes (clothes), puttin' on our hikin' boots (boots), 'cuz that's what we do (do) at Girl's Camp!" There was more, but that's all I can remember now!
Kelsey and I at flag one night.
It was tons of fun having my 2 cousins at camp too. Eliza kept me laughing all week!
At campfire one night, the adults got to perform an awkwardly funny song for the girls.
Samantha, my other cousin, was on the ropes course all week and it was great spending time with her out there.
The obstacle I was most proud of myself for doing. This is Samantha climbing the telephone pole, all 30 feet of it.
I went last. It may have appeared I was being gracious in letting all the others go before me. In actuality, I was that scared that I couldn't get up the nerve until then! I got all harnessed up and checked and double checked my harness and made sure they knew I had 3 girls I needed to go home to!
I climbed up with my heard pounding in my chest and my insides twisting into knots. I stood up on top of that pole and it was shaking and causing my legs to turn to limp spaghetti, rendering my legs useless to jump off the pole. I kid you not, I nearly cried. I was that scared. But...
finally, I jumped through the air and grabbed onto the ring 10 ft in front of me.
Victory was mine! Now I know why they call it the Confidence Pole. I totally had the confidence after doing it, to know I could do it again and I went back out the next day to redeem myself. I climbed the pole even faster, stood on top, counted to 3, and jumped for that ring again. I was still nervous, but somehow having done it once before made it much easier the second time around.
I thought that obstacle cured my fear of heights. I was wrong. The next day, I had to climb another 30 ft ladder and leap across a 4 ft gap on the platform. A 4 ft jump is nothing, but when you're so high in the air and you realize that if you miss the platform on the other side, it will really hurt and be a long way down... well, it may as well be like jumping the Grand Canyon.
Then, we had to walk across a beam from one platform to another. Also scary.
And the last part was to climb across the swinging beams. Being able to use my arms made me feel much more secure. I think I have enough upper body strength that I felt better relying on my arms to pull my body across, whereas walking on the balance beam scared the crud out of me!
At the end of the Skywalk, you just let go and by that time, swinging down to the ground, I felt much better! It was a great confidence booster and really helped me get over or more comfortable with some of my fears.
I'm so glad I got the opportunity to go to camp this year. I learned A LOT from the other leaders about being a leader and working with the youth and I loved being involved in all the planning and organization of camp in the months prior to our fun-filled week. I loved planning experiences to help draw the girls closer to their Heavenly Father and to each other. It really was a great week and I wish I was going to be here next year to be involved with camp again.
No comments:
Post a Comment