Friday, July 20, 2012

Anytime Snacks

 We've been talking a lot this summer about "sometimes foods" and "anytime foods."  I filled a basket in the fridge with anytime foods and the kids are allowed to come and pick a snack without asking from the basket: peaches, yogurt, string cheese, carrots, fruit cups, etc. But, they must ask first before getting a "sometimes" snack from the pantry: cheese crackers, granola bars, fruit snacks, cereal bars, etc.  And chances are, they are usually full from their healthy snacks that they aren't even asking for anything from the pantry.

This simple basket and the fact that they can get a snack without first having to get permission has really cut down on their mindless carb consuming mentality and gotten them to eat healthy snacks instead.  Lovin' it!

2 comments:

kalinda said...

great idea Amber I will have to use this with Macie as she gets older.

Anthony Bennett said...

I like this idea for Anthony and me. We are eating more yogurts, celery sticks, and carrots lately but prepping them before hunger sets would be ideal! You are so awesome.