(From Mid-Sept. to Mid-Dec. 2013)
Funniest part is how unhappy I look Day 1! I didn't think I would post anything, just wanted pics for myself to compare and I was NOT happy to take those, but I sure am glad I did now! As my friend Derek said, "There's no shame in having a "before" picture as long as you have an "after"!" This is not like me to go putting my half naked pictures out there, but if I can motivate one person or offer a little help it's worth it! I know I will NEVER be a fitness model and I'm totally okay with that! I do, however, feel good in my own skin, stretch marks from babies and all, and would be happy just staying at this level now.

I had pubic symphysitis with my last pregnancy. My ligaments in my pelvis relaxed way too much and caused awful pain when walking. Basically, much more walking than was absolutely necessary and I was flat on the couch, couldn't get up, hold the groin while crawling around kind of pain. It was bad. I spent the last month pretty much down on the couch and then I had my sweet baby girl and took it easy for a few months as I still had flare ups of pain if I overdid it. As in, took a 20 minute walk, did 10 lunges, or stretched too far. It was very frustrating and in turn, my body wasn't "snapping back" to pre-pregnancy shape. Though, who am I to kid? It never did with the first three, I had to work for that too! lol I found myself down 20 lbs. from being pregnant, but not fitting in my clothes and just feeling blah about my body.
So, I joined a 90 day fitness challenge group with some friends on Facebook and it was a private group where we posted motivation, tips, took pictures of our meals, posted meal plans, pictures of us working out, and eventually our progress pictures. I REALLY benefitted from the group motivation and participation and having friends to work out with.
I have always enjoyed exercise. I teach a strength training class at a gym in town several days a week and in Sacramento taught water aerobics a couple times a week. I've always been somewhat fit, but I wanted to look better and knew the eating had to change if that was going to happen. I had to break up with bread and say goodbye to my precious cookies for a bit. I went from 145 lbs. to 133 lbs. losing 12 lbs. total and 6 inches between my hips, thighs, and waist. I was worried that going down in weight might mean losing muscle, but happily, my lifts have gone up in a few areas. Let me break it down a bit...
First, the FOOD:
I embarked on a 10 day clean eating challenge and believe me--it was a CHALLENGE! I had a protein shake for breakfast every morning. I found that starting the day with a quick shake made of powder, banana, milk, and ice really revved me up with a good amount of protein and kept me full til my midmorning snack. I would have a snack of Greek yogurt with berries or an apple with peanut butter. It's all about the protein people. Protein with every meal.
Then, about 2 1/2 hrs later was lunch. I love me some Subway sandwiches, but I swear, who goes to Subway for a sandwich without ordering a white chocolate macadamia cookie?! Well, I tried to be one of "those" people, and ordered a clean sub with NO chips/cookie and brought my own raspberries and blueberries to add to the meal. Very filling, very yummy. At home, I would add cooked chicken to salads with light dressing and some snap peas and carrots. If I was out, then McDonald's Grilled Chicken Southwest salad was a perfect choice, with only 300 calories and totally delicious.
Dinner was pretty much whatever my family was having, just watching my portion sizes and if I made chicken and veggies and gave them a slice of French bread, I just ate everything but the bread. I tried to fill up on veggies and protein first and foremost. Desserts were few and far between, sadly. But, I have to say that a Fiber One bar laden with chocolate chips is a great substitute for the afternoon snack that tastes like it should be a dessert! I got the kids in on it too. They are good eaters which made it easier, but never balked at having chicken salad and fruit for dinner.
So, basically, I was never hungry. I ate a LOT! I mean, more than normal, just made sure I chose healthy, filling options that still gave me enough calories to power me through my workouts.
The next component: EXERCISE!!Yes, the part I love! I taught Body Pump, a 60 minute strength training class with a barbell 3 x a week. I knew that was enough strength training, so I knew I needed a little more cardio. Definitely not my fave, but what gets results! I would run 3 miles around the soccer field with my buddy Jessica during our girls' soccer practice once a week.
I ran 1-2 miles a day 3x a week with my girl Trina in the mornings and added in my own interval training around our neighborhood.

Yep, gotta love the guns. If you don't like doing pushups, maybe this'll help change your mind. Do them! One will be really hard at first and then after doing them several times a week for a month you'll be amazed at your progress. I'm now up to 40 on my toes and want to do more but need to strengthen my lower back more first. Grrr...hate that lower back pain!
So, basically, now that the challenge is over and the holidays hit, I'm working out a little less and eating more (more as in chocolate cake, croissants, and French toast!) and staying right where I want on the scale. I've revved up the metabolism enough to eat more now and still weigh less than before. So, that's it. No gimmick. No diet fads. Just simple lifestyle changes and a little cookie deprivation. I wholeheartedly believe that the majority of your results will be through changing your eating. Up the protein and veggies, up the water intake, decrease the nutrient-deficient foods and see your body change! 






4 comments:
You look awesome Amber!
Good job and good ideas! Thanks! :)
You are smokin' hot Mama! Great job! And you make it seem doable. I'll have to remember to re-read this post when I am not totally nauseated and pregnant. ;)
Beautifully said! You are such a rockstar! Loved having you in the 90 day challenge group kicking BUTT! You look SEXY!!
Post a Comment