As people arrived they were given a ticket to ride the Polar Express. Tickets were punched upon entering the gym where everyone then found a seat. We had a fabulous tri-tip dinner with green salad, rolls, and homemade mac 'n cheese. Everyone was to come in their pajamas as they do in the movie/book.
My friend let me borrow her 18ft. train that is part of her yard decoration for the holidays.
We had a short program after eating. All the children were invited to come sit on the floor and we had a conductor reading the story of the Polar Express aloud. He stopped reading periodically for a few musical numbers. The Young Women and I did a dance to the song, "Hot Chocolate."
A group of girls, including Mikayla, sang a very sweet rendition of "When Christmas Comes To Town," also from the movie. And my friend Sydney sang a solo to Josh Groban's "Believe." I was able to download karaoke versions of those songs so we didn't need a piano accompanist and were able to use the actual music sans vocals to back up our musical numbers. After the program, the big man in red showed up with bells on! He also gave the children a bell on a necklace in keeping with the tradition of the Polar Express story as well.
Megan loved sitting with Santa and telling him just what she wanted for Christmas--Barbies, Tinkerbells, princesses, and things of that nature. Kendra, on the other hand--
We fed 190 people at our activity and all in all, I think it was a great success! I was completely stressed in the weeks prior to the activity with all the planning, food buying/preparing, phone call making, decorating, practicing of songs/dances, etc. etc. I had NO idea how much work goes into a Christmas party for that many people! I can honestly say there are things I would do differently next time, but I think for my first one, I did a pretty good job.
I broke out with 3 zits from the stress of the stupid thing. I was mighty happy as soon as the activity was over to be washing the 23 tablecoths and adding up receitps to know that my sanity and complexion would soon be restored.
No comments:
Post a Comment