Wednesday, March 16, 2011

5K baby

I actually ran a 5k. The whole darn thing. Like without stopping to walk.

Pounding the pavement for miles on end is not my idea of fun. I'll do it once a year and that's about it. Haha, I like to workout in the gym, but I tend to run a mile, walk a mile, and repeat. I don't like to run for long periods of time because I get bored out of my mind, but this time it was different. Different because we were outside and I was running with friends.

Saturday morning came and my mother-in-law and I drove over to the church to begin our run. Our Stake Relief Society had planned the 2nd Annual 5K walk/run with service projects afterward. We had great weather and when the time came, we took off. We wound through the neighborhood and around a local elementary school through a 3.2 mile course that had been mapped out for us. There were a few men and young boys along the way telling us where to turn and which way to go which helped a lot. A few were eating donuts while we ran which did not help at all. I would much rather have been eating a donut than stuck in my Nikes trekking it down the street.

I am proud to say that with my bad knees, a toe taped up, and my lungs desperately desiring more oxygen, we crossed the finish line. AND, we were number 3 and 4 to cross it! Only two 20 year old runners beat us! I do not consider myself a runner. I'm just competitive enough to keep running a race till the end while hating it the entire time. I do not ever think I'll be a runner. I had to pop some Ibuprofen soon after to combat the throbbing knees and I know that I'm on my way to a torn meniscus and have to take it easy to avoid that.

Now, what about my mother-in-law? I'm ashamed to say it. She's twice my age and did better than me. We got done and she said, "Wow, that felt good! I could go another 15 minutes more!" Are you out of your mind?! We just ran a 5K in 28 minutes and you want more?! Okay, I am thoroughly impressed. I might be up to 30 push-ups on my toes at the gym, but my mother-in-law can run! Well, we all have our strengths...

1 comment:

JenW said...

good for you! i'm totally not a runner either but i often think of what good exercise it is and think...wow that'd be great if i ever figured out how to breath AND run! good job!