Monday, March 28, 2011

Goin' Green!

"Do you know what the new spinach is?? Kale. We're going to 'adopt' (clap, clap) a new attitude toward kale."-- Mitchell on Modern Family

Have I ever mentioned how much I love that show?! Trent and I watch it and bust up laughing the entire time. I love Phil and whoever created his character is brilliant, brilliant I tell ya.

But I digress...



Green smoothies are all the rage right now. I've tried some really healthy smoothies and they weren't quite for me, but this, I can live with. Live with and love. A banana, handful of frozen strawberries, milk, a little vanilla yogurt, a little splenda, and a whole lotta spinach. Blend it up and drink it down baby! I love it and I love that I'm getting a serving of veggies for breakfast! Who does that?! It chops and blends so fine that I never taste a stem or leaf and I don't think it changes the flavor of my sweet and fruity morning smoothie at all.


P.S. 2 cups of spinach has about 8 grams of fiber, strawberries 4g, banana 3g. DON'T add more fiber powder to this. Yeah, learned that one the hard way... I was getting my daily intake of fiber in one shake and my body hated me for it...


P.P.S. The girls love it too. Trent won't try it. Still working on him...


P.P.P.S. I have no desire to jump on the kale bandwagon and I refuse to believe people who tell me they can bake kale with a little EVOO and make it taste like potato chips. Sorry, I think they're lying. Just sayin'...

3 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

When I was pregnant with Hugh I started putting kale in my smoothies to add more greens to my diet and I actually really liked it! I haven't tried it with spinach, but now I'm curious. Marc won't try the kale smoothies, but my little boys both love them! Oh, and I'm totally big on modern family - it's hilarious!

kalinda said...

this looks delicious Amber, I will have to give it a try. Another thing that is really good for you that I add to my smoothies is powdered Wheat Grass. It is kind of expensive but packed full of nutrients. The first time you have it it taste's kind of funny, but now we can not even tell.

Orange Peanut said...

I love it with spinach!!!