Friday, March 25, 2011

Good Day

I'm going on nearly 3 years of teaching water aerobics. Some days are really good and I feel like I was born to teach, other days, I secretly count down the minutes till I can get out of the chlorine-saturated air and take off my mic pack.

Today was a good day. I have taught water aerobics every day this week. My classes and subbing for other people as well. Friday came and I was a little burned out from teaching and felt sure they didn't want to see me for 2 more classes this morning. (And seriously, sometimes I get no feedback or blank stares and I don't know what they think of me!)

I made a new cd last night which really helped and let me tell you, belting it out to "I Love You Baby...and if it's quite alright, I need you BABY...trust in me when I say.... Oh PRETTY BABY!" is quite the mood booster. I said it was time for Karaoke Aqua and they needed to help me sing and boy did they! We had a blast singing while I led them back and forth across the pool. I'm glad all 25 of them were loud enough to drown me out singing into my mic I have strapped on my head! In retrospect, I probably should have let the trumpet solo be and not belt out those notes too--oh well!

Then, good 'ol Frank came on. This class doesn't just like Frank Sinatra. They LOVE Frank Sinatra. I caved in and played "New York, New York" and I kid you not when I say there was shrieking and squeals of delight at hearing the first few bars of his song! I had them kicking and doing jazz hands and at one point during the song I thought, "You know, I am good at this."

That doesn't happen often. I don't often feel like I'm good at things and to feel confident and happy and that I am just plain good at what I do is a good feeling. It may be something small, but if I can make a group of 25 seniors smile and feel happy and healthy and ready to take on the day, then I've done my job-- and that's a good day.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

If there was a "like" button I would have clicked it. Sounds like a job well done and a lot of fun!