Our friends have an orchard on their property with persimmons as well as other kinds of fruit. We were able to go and pick a bunch of persimmons and the girls had a blast trying to pull the fruit off the tree--not an easy task! They cling to the branch with fierceness and we had to tug and twist pretty hard to get the fruit down. Mikayla liked picking the large ones even though those ones are for baking and we didn't eat them. We do like to pick, peel, and slice up the Fuyu persimmons to eat as a snack. They sell for a buck a piece in the store, so it was quite nice to go out and pick 30 of them for free to eat during Christmas break.
Megan liked to inspect them for bruises or imperfections.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm very jealous. Persimmons are $1.50 here! I bet they were yummy!
I have never heard of a persimmon, what do they taste like?
hmmm, kinda like a peach and an apple...i guess :) hard to describe, you can eat the skin, I prefer to peel it off. We eat them when they're still firm, if you wait they get mushy and not as good tasting. One kind is for baking (cookies and such) and the other kind is for eating, that's the kind we like. Always fun to try new fruit!
Post a Comment