Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Altered Flip-Flops

We got a pair of plain old purple flip-flops from the Dollar Tree and spruced them up a bit for Mikayla. I put a safety pin through the end of some cute ribbon and pushed the safety pin through the flip-flop right next to the plastic that goes through the bottom of the shoe(don't know what it's called!). Then I wrapped the ribbon around the plastic gluing it along the way. I wrapped down to one end of the shoe and the other and used the safety pin trick on the end of the ribbon to pull it through the shoe to the bottom one more time. I snipped the ends on the underside and used a big scrapbooking brad to attach a white flower (from my scrapbooking stash, bought in a pack from Wal-Mart) through the plastic strap to secure it. It was pretty much a mommy craft but Mikayla loved picking out her flip-flops and going through my stash to find ribbon and flowers!

Pretty simple and dang cute! They were so cute I had each of my achievement day girls (8-12 yrs old from church) bring a pair of flip-flops, new or old, and we decorated a pair for them to each take home. Some did buttons, some used jewels, some did the ribbon and flower and others just used ribbon. No matter what the used they all turned out so cute and unique and way more fun than the plain sandals they showed up with!
If anyone wants to try this and my instructions were unclear let me know and I'll try to explain it better!

2 comments:

Chris and Dani said...

That is so cute. I might use it for my activity day girls.

Orange Peanut said...

They turned out great!