I'm somewhat amazed that my little 6 year old is learning to refine her strokes and breathing techniques and can now swim a half length of the pool in practice on only one breath! A major improvement from the beginning of the season.
Mikayla says, "So, what place did I get?" I said, "Well, honey, you got sixth place..." I prepared for heart-dropping, tear-filled outburst and instead heard, "Wow, I wonder what color ribbon I'll get?! I mean, I got a blue ribbon last week and I've gotten red too, but I haven't gotten a sixth place ribbon yet!" She was thrilled to learn it was an aquamarine ribbon to add to her collection, leaving Mom to be the only one still frustrated by the 6 yr old's performance.
Oh well. Get over it Mom. She's 6. People tell me at this age that they are so unpredictable that such a change from week to week is normal and somewhat expected.
Still. Doesn't mean I have to like it. :) Oh well, I'll continue to shuttle her to practice everyday, shoot pep talks and pointers into her ears before she swims, and cheer like crazy during her half-minute sprint across the pool.
No comments:
Post a Comment