Saturday, February 2, 2013

My Ramblings On Feeling Old

Anyone remember that Deanna Carter song, "Strawberry Wine?"  I remember listening to it on the country music station while doing homework in my bedroom at 15 years old.  A favorite line from the song is, "I still remember, when 30 was old...."  To me, at 15, 30 was old.  Like, really old.  30 yr olds were those at church with several kids and real jobs and a mortgage and thinning hair and slightly expanding waistlines.  30 was old.  30 seemed forever away.

 And then it happened.  I turned 30 this year.  And guess what?  I have several kids and another coming, a husband with a real job, we have a mortgage and thinning hair and are fighting the good fight of the battle of the bulge.  Awesome.  I got old.  I turned 30 and got a few gray hairs and the slightest indentation on my face (because I refuse to call it a wrinkle).  I feel extra super old when I say things to my kids like, "Well yeah, but that was 20 years ago..."  whoa, back it up.  What?!  I shouldn't be old enough to say things like that...

And then I realized, 30 is pretty awesome.  30 means I am married and have a mortgage and a gaggle of kids, and a fun job teaching at a gym.  I am in a good, happy place.  I actually, truly love my life and everything about it.  I think my 20s were different than others as they weren't spent in a drunken stupor partying my weekends away, but were spent helping support a husband through school, and bearing children, and budgeting, and being responsible with my choices.

I don't necessarily like the idea of aging.  I don't like what it's going to do to my body.  I don't like saying my number aloud as if suddenly starting an age with a "3" is no longer cool.  But I guess the number is only defined by how you live your life and is what you make of it.

So, 30 is awesome.  Because I say so. 

2 comments:

The Carrs said...

Yeah you have a bulging waistline because you are pregnant! ;) You are rockin 30! I'm glad you are liking it, you have a beautiful life!

Trent and Amber said...

You're very sweet. Thanks for the comment. Love you! :)