The fact that people feel they have the right to say what they want about my body and pregnancy is irritating. I actually was in a Zumba class a couple of weeks ago, enjoying the music and having fun and making sure to tone down the moves and march whenever something was outside of what my body felt comfortable doing. A participant went and told the gym owner (my boss!!) that he needed to come tell me to leave Zumba because I was too pregnant to be doing it and it wasn't safe for me. He chuckled at her and said he fully backed me being there and said I knew my limits and was just fine. Seriously?! Gyms are supposed to be inclusive and help people feel comfortable in an inviting atmosphere where all can participate. I've yet to turn anyone away from my classes I teach because I didn't think they could/should do it. The nerve.
Also, on a weekly basis, I have people come up and tell me that I shouldn't be "pumping iron" or teaching anymore, because "don't you care about your baby?" "Don't you care at all about having a safe pregnancy?" "Isn't this too much for you?" "Are you sure you should be doing this?"
People, please. This is not my first rodeo. This is my 4th baby and hence, my 4th pregnancy. I have researched all the fitness-related pregnancy literature out there and made the necessary modifications to my routine. Heck, I don't work work out NEARLY as hard or as often as I did before--and it is totally frustrating to me, but yes, I scaled back because I WAS thinking about my baby.
Ok, rant over. Long story short, rather than spew off your belief to a pregnant lady of what she should or shouldn't be doing in a gym, applaud her for staying active and move on with your merry life. Oh yeah, can you tell the pregnancy hormones are causing some irritability? Haha....
2 comments:
good post amber. The thing that is most funny about it all is staying active and eating healthy is one of the best things for you and your baby. Those people who are probably complaining gained 50 lbs with there pregnancy sat on the couch and ate crap the whole entire time. They are just jealous of your wicked hot pregnancy body. Way to stay active and keep healthy and not let being pregnant an excuse to be lazy.
The key is that you usually work much harder than that when you are not pregnant. That's why you can handle it. You probably work harder while you are pregnant than most people do when they're not.
We all see things from our own perspective and tend to judge people based on what we experience ourselves. I'm sorry to hear so many people think they can share their rude judgments, though. I am always pretty impressed when I see your FB pictures and posts about your workouts. Way to go, Amber! You are an inspiration to all of us!
Post a Comment