Saturday, March 3, 2012

Eureka! I found it!

This recipe is every bit as good as its name and I couldn't be happier!!!  As another case in point of what a blog hopping stalker I am, I found THE best cookie recipe while reading the blog of the sister of a friend from college.  Almost said an "old college friend" but then that would imply that I too am old, and hey, let's not jump the gun, the big 3-0 is still a few months away--sigh...  So, while I have a raspy-voiced toddler running around and a 7 yr old with a 104 degree fever sacked out on the couch, I find myself cooped up inside and well, bored.

 Sooo, I decided to try this recipe and though I am always skeptical of recipes claiming to be "the best one ever" or "the last you'll try" or "good enough you'd trade your firstborn for" I thought, why not?  Heck, this week I may just trade my third-born for these cookies--yes, they are THAT good and she has been trying me THAT much.  :)


   Soooo, here you go!  When you try these tonight and your pants don't fit tomorrow, you can thank me.  Yes, you need to use real butter, suck it up and pay the extra buck for the butter, they're worth it.  Follow this recipe to a 'T' (whatever the heck that means) and take these suckers out of the oven when the edges are slightly brownish-tan, they'll continue baking as they cool to a gooey-chipped, slightly chewy, yumminess.    You're welcome.

The Last Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe You'll Ever TryFrom America's Test Kitchen

2 cups plus 2 T. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
12 T. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk (when I double the recipe I do 3 eggs instead of 2 and 2 yolks... it's up to you)
2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the melted butter and sugars together with an electric mixer (or stand mixer) on medium speed until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined.

Reduce the speed to low and slowly add half the flour, the salt and baking soda.  Mix in the chips until incorporated. Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll them into a ball and place them on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies until the edges are set and beginning to brown but the middles are still soft and puffy, around 15 minutes.(don't go by this, just watch them closely and as the edges start to turn tan, pull those puppies out!)

Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely.  I dare you not to eat one before they're cooled completely!  Impossible.

2 comments:

kalinda said...

that is so funny I have this same recipe from when a lady in our branch made them and yes the are the BEST!!

Trent and Amber said...

What?! And you didn't share it with me then?!! haha, glad you like them! :)