Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Benjamin Cy Nelson is here!









I don't just love this baby because he's my best friend's baby or because he's a boy and we have 4 girls between us already, or because I just plain and simple love babies. No, I love love this baby because I got to be there to see him come into this world!


Ben was on a 2 week business trip to Minneapolis so I took the girls to Stockton to play and have a sleepover with Kim and the girls. We played, had dinner, had baths, and put the 4 girls to bed. Kim and I watched a movie and some t.v. and the little contractions Kim was having became stronger, longer, and more intense. So we thought, hey, let's just time them for the fun of it and see how close they are. 8 minutes apart, then 7, then 5 minutes apart.... uh oh. After 2 1/2 hrs. of this we made a frantic call to Ben saying we're going to the hospital, fly home NOW! We called his mom to come stay with the girls and off we went to the hospital. We got there and got checked in and she started getting monitored at 4am. They wanted her to walk around to speed up labor and move her from early to active labor. We pleaded with the nurses to let her just lay still in bed and try to hold out for Ben!


Finally, Ben got there at 1pm and they broke her water and started the Pitocin. She started feeling the contractions getting stronger and stronger and since they don't do epidurals at that hopital the next best thing was a morphine intrathecal. So, when Kim started going into transition you could see it on her face and her body. I ran to tell a nurse it was time for the drugs. But right after they administered it to her she laid down and I saw her face and said, "Has anyone checked her recently?" So the nurse checked her and looked up with a surprised look on her face and said, "she's complete!" One contraction later she was asking to push, so they quickly broke down the bed and got everything ready to deliver! There wasn't even time for the drug to take effect and relieve any pain!


It was the most amazing experience! It was SOO nice to be on that side of the bed let me tell you! He was 3 weeks early, but Benjamin Cy Nelson was born at 3:45pm on Wednesday, May 7, weighing 9 lbs. 1oz and 20 inches long. I started crying when Ben went to cut the cord and the Dr. noticed the knot in the cord. She said we were lucky we came in when we did because even a day later and it could have been very bad (if you know what I mean). So scary. I was incredibly grateful that we decided to time contractions and make phone calls and head into the hospital when we did. Mom and baby are healthy and happy and home. What more can you ask for? He is the cutest little thing and now I've totally got the baby bug! It's not the right time, I know, I know... but, here's some pics of the lil guy for all to see! :)
I think he looks JUST like Ben, what do you think?

5 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

Wow! What an experience!! I'm glad everything went so smoothly in the end!

Welcome to the blogging world! It'll be so fun to get a more frequent glimpse into your life and your beautiful, growing family! love ya!

Julie and Pete said...

What a great first family picture of Ben and Kim, she should have kids all the time looking that good. It doesn't look like it even phased here. You look great yourself after being up all night. I'm sure you were such a great coach and security for Kim. Love, Mom

JenW said...

wow, it definitely is different being there with someone else...i was holding one of my sister's legs when she had her first daughter...whoa. it was cool though! i'm glad you are blogging now...come check us out too:)

Ashley said...

I was hoping you would post some pictures. He is beautiful and he is totally a Nelson! I am so happy he arrived and he is so big too! I couldn't imagine how big he would have been. I will have to e-mail Kim.

Thanks for the photos!
Ashley

Orange Peanut said...

What an incredible experience!