Some wonder how I did it, being 7 months pregnant. I hiked all 6 1/2 miles the first day with no problem. The next day, after 8 miles I felt as if I had pushed myself to the limit and my joints and ligaments in my hips and groin were spreading and loosening and I could barely walk. I had to ask for a ride in a truck for that last mile of the day and it was hard for me to do. I cried and was so embarassed and ashamed that I couldn't do it on my own. As I reflected later, I realized it's okay to ask for help. It's okay that I can't do it on my own and my Heavenly Father wants me to come to Him in prayer and ask for the help to make up the difference. He is there to help lead, guide, and carry me to my destination time and time again until I arrive at the end and can hear Him say, "You've made it. THIS IS THIS PLACE." I learned so many small truths and lessons along this Trek and was able to recover enough that night to finish out the rest of the Trek walking with my family and for that I am grateful.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Pioneer Trek 2009
We have been preparing for Trek for over 4 months. We were so excited to finally be able to go on our journey with our awesome "family." We pushed a handcart loaded with supplies, clothing, and sleeping bags all day long for 4 days covering over 25 miles. We grew closer to the kids in our family, to each other, and nearer to our Heavenly Father through the many wonderful, irreplaceable experiences we had. I had prepared myself physically for Trek by constantly working out at the gym and teaching my aerobics classes and had prepared myself spiritually as well. I knew I would grow physically stronger from the hike, but had NO IDEA how much stronger spiritually I would grow as we had testimony meetings, saw vignettes performed of true pioneer stories that made me cry every time and as we witnessed small miracles all along the trail that bolstered our faith and helped us go on.
Some wonder how I did it, being 7 months pregnant. I hiked all 6 1/2 miles the first day with no problem. The next day, after 8 miles I felt as if I had pushed myself to the limit and my joints and ligaments in my hips and groin were spreading and loosening and I could barely walk. I had to ask for a ride in a truck for that last mile of the day and it was hard for me to do. I cried and was so embarassed and ashamed that I couldn't do it on my own. As I reflected later, I realized it's okay to ask for help. It's okay that I can't do it on my own and my Heavenly Father wants me to come to Him in prayer and ask for the help to make up the difference. He is there to help lead, guide, and carry me to my destination time and time again until I arrive at the end and can hear Him say, "You've made it. THIS IS THIS PLACE." I learned so many small truths and lessons along this Trek and was able to recover enough that night to finish out the rest of the Trek walking with my family and for that I am grateful.
We arrived and loaded up our handcart with our 10 kids-5 girls and 5 boys- and our Auntie Jan.
They worked together to get down this steep hill and up the other side. I was so proud of the many accomplishments like this that they made along the way.
My good friend Kelsey and I, we teach together at the gym and have kids the same age, I'm so glad she was there to talk with and laugh with me.
Trent and I, or Ma and Pa Dudley as we were called. (The first day, note I still have my hair done and makeup on! There were no showers on Trek and I was crazy dirty--as in WAY dirtier than I could have even imagined!!)
Becca and I, the two Trek preggos. I'm 7 months and she's 8 months along. We were both Ma's and were both so excited that they still let us go "in our condition." We were forbidden from pushing or even touching the handcart, but climbing those hills and walking the 25+ miles was challenge enough!
Trent, Me, Captain Dave, and Auntie Jan. We LOVE the Smiths!! Oh my goodness, I don't know how we could've done it without them! Every two families had a captain assigned over them and we got the privilege of having Janalee as our "aunt" and her husband as our captain. We learned so much from watching them and talking with them and think they are amazing examples of parents(to 5 kids!) that we hope to be like someday.
At the homecoming! I was soooo excited to see the girls and my parents! We rolled the carts into the homecoming spot and I immediately had tears streaming down my face (for the 100th time that trip!) and was grateful to see my little girls.
Our pioneer family!
Mikayla with Daddy. It was a wonderful experience and I would gladly go again if given the opportunity. We made it through the sun, rain, wind, and even two hailstorms (I know! In August, in California?!?!) but it was such an amazingly enriching opportunity and one I feel very blessed to have been asked to participate.
Some wonder how I did it, being 7 months pregnant. I hiked all 6 1/2 miles the first day with no problem. The next day, after 8 miles I felt as if I had pushed myself to the limit and my joints and ligaments in my hips and groin were spreading and loosening and I could barely walk. I had to ask for a ride in a truck for that last mile of the day and it was hard for me to do. I cried and was so embarassed and ashamed that I couldn't do it on my own. As I reflected later, I realized it's okay to ask for help. It's okay that I can't do it on my own and my Heavenly Father wants me to come to Him in prayer and ask for the help to make up the difference. He is there to help lead, guide, and carry me to my destination time and time again until I arrive at the end and can hear Him say, "You've made it. THIS IS THIS PLACE." I learned so many small truths and lessons along this Trek and was able to recover enough that night to finish out the rest of the Trek walking with my family and for that I am grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is awesome. Everyone who attends a trek seems to have such a wonderful experience. I hope to have the chance one day. I am glad to hear you made it safely. I was concerned for you, but you did it! Way to go.
That picture of the handcart coming down the hill is spectacular. It just gives you a glimpse of that it was like.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Makes my hips hurt just thinking about it. I'm glad it was a great experience.
You are amazing! I am so impressed with you my friend! It was such an inspiration to watch you carry on!
The Dudley Family represented well--thanks for being such a great Ma and Pa and for being great friends. We are blessed to be surrounded by such great friends.
Post a Comment