Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm Proud of You

A few weeks ago, my dad told me he was proud of me. This is something he does often. Something that always makes my day. My dad told me he was proud of the choices I'm making, of the kids I'm raising, of how I'm trying my hardest at all that I do.

One night while on the treadmill at the gym, I started thinking about this. I started thinking about how it makes me feel and about how the choices I made growing up helped me to be where I am now. As a teenager, I avoided a lot of pitfalls and temptations by simply knowing that I wanted to do the things that would make my parents proud of me.

I knew then as I do now, that the same things that make my parents proud of me, are also the things that are in line with what our Father in Heaven would have us do. I thought about the choices I made as a youth and how I acted, not out of fear of what my parents would do to me after a wrong decision, but out of respect for them and how I wanted their love and for them to be proud of me. It's the same with our Heavenly Father. He's given us choices and we should obey His rules not out of fear of what the consequences may be, but out of love and respect for Him and a desire to do what is right to make Him happy.

Sure, I didn't have a rebellious streak and maybe missed out on a lot of so-called teenage fun, but I also do not pay the price now for addiction or disease that may have come as a result of the "fun."

Well, at that point, the eyes were getting misty and I welcomed the opportunity to slow the treadmill down to a walk and realized it was the most interesting situation to have a spiritual experience, but it was mine nonetheless.

I am thankful for parents who have taught me well. I am thankful for parents that tell me that I am doing a good job and that they are proud of me. I am thankful to know that as I live His commandments, one day I will hear the words, "Well done, welcome home."

No comments: