Thursday, September 18, 2008

My fashion guru

Mikayla cracks me up. We got ready to go to the gym the other day and she looks at me and says, "Mom, are you going like that?" I look down at my purple tank and black yoga pants and didn't see the reason for her question. I said yes and she said, "But you can't wear earrings to the gym! Everyone will laugh at you." I half-smiled and looked quizzically at her as she explained to me that people do not wear earrings to exercise and that they will laugh at me. I felt my silver hoops dangling from my lobes and realized though yes, they are impractical, I didn't see the pitfalls of public ridicule stemming from them. My 4 yr old then told me, "Mom, if anyone laughs at you, you come and get me (from the childcare room) and tell me and I will go get mad at them. Don't worry, I won't let people make fun of you."

What a sweet, sweet child I have looking out for my fashion welfare. :)

Same thing happened when I wore my new, cute cropped cardigan with a tank top underneath. She said, "Mom, did you know you bought a sweater that's too little for you?" I told her it's cropped and that's how it's supposed to look. She said, "Well, it's too small for you... I could wear it though, I bet it will fit me." Way to make a mom self-conscious of her attempts at fashion...

Oh well. Who could blame her? I mean, wouldn't you take fashion advice from someone that picks out this outfit for preschool? How cute is she?!


5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love it!!! Better not let Mikayla see me, I've been "letting myself go" since I have become a mom...I don't think she would approve. ;)

The Butler Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Butler Family said...

That is awesome! What a sweetie to be looking out for her mom :) How cute is she?!

Burke family said...

That is too funny! I love the funny things that come out of kids' mouths.

Kim Hawryluk said...

LOVED this story!