Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mikayla's Pet Rock

In Mikayla's Kindergarten class they had to turn a rock into an animal and create a habitat for that animal. These pet rocks were to be presented in class and in her oral presentation she had to name the rock, tell several facts about the animal(where it lives, what it eats, what eats it, etc), and talk about what materials she chose to use to make the animal.
She chose to make a butterfly. She painted the rock, glued eyes, wings, and antennae to it and created a habitat in a shoebox for it. Her butterfly had green leaves and grass, flowers, a blue sky and velcro to land on. We put the velcro down to keep the rock from rolling out of the box, pretty smart I thought!
I thought this was a fun little project for us to work on together, but I got my first glimpse into the world of student-made projects. Being a crafty, somewhat-perfectionist mom, I had a hard time turning over the paintbrush, scissors, and glue to my child. I had to practice restraint to not cut out the construction paper and to allow her to paint over the cute googly eyes I'd found. But, I am proud to say, I had enough restraint to not do a thing on this project except laying down the hot glue where she directed me to. Ahh, I see a long 18 years ahead of me of not stepping in to do my children's school projects for them...

2 comments:

Jackie M said...

You are so funny Amber!. Mikayla did a fantastic job!!!! It is very cute.

Orange Peanut said...

That turned out cute! I loved that project when Dallin did that one!